A blog about Lawrenceville GA

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

When people ring the door bell

When I first moved to Lawrenceville, I had no problem with people ringing my door bell. If they were selling something reasonable, I would buy it. If they looked hungry or thirsty (I am a mom, I know when someone is hungry or thirsty) I would offer them food or drink.

But a few years have passed, I have dealt with scammers and product that were not what they seemed to be, and too many too pushy evangelist have show up on my doorstep.

I'm looking for a tasteful, "no soliciting" sign for my door.

What turned my into such a scrooge? I think the last straw was when a JW group rang my door bell and my 13 year old opened the door because he know they were just evangelizing. (Even though he has had instruction not to open the door for strangers). With little introduction, they start reading scriptures from revelations to him. My daughter bursted into the bathroom where I was showering to let me know, and so in my towel, I went down the hall to where I could see them (but they could not see me) and told my kid to shut the door.

Well, I got dressed, and when out to talk to people who were absolutely unapologetic for talking to a 13 year old boy without a parents permission. They said no solicitation signs posted all over the neighborhood means nothing to them either, and they were right, I check with the police and they don't have to obey them. I sure they decided I was condemned to hell, but unlike Rick Badie who feels that you should always be polite when someone rings your doorbell, I say there are too many crazy people out there to assume that anyone who rings your doorbell (especially if they try to interract with your kid) has good intentions.

So now, I would just as soon not have anyone ring my door bell. If you are an innocent kid selling me cookie mix... sorry.

1 comment:

  1. A great solution is a "Shh...baby sleeping" sign. Even better is a sign that says "Day Sleeper, do not knock or ring bell"...but the downside of the 2nd suggestion is that you won't get your UPS deliver either...but the 2nd option is EXTREMELY effective!
    They'll leave notes and paperwork for you though. LOL

    ReplyDelete